- Phototherapy is a non-pharmacological treatment modality used in sleep disorders.
- Our body has an internal clock, located in the brain known as ‘Suprachiasmatic Nucleus’ that regulates the sleep/wake cycle.
- This clock controls the “circadian rhythms” in your body. These include body temperature, alertness and hormonal levels.
- Our body clock is “set” by our exposure to bright light such as sunlight.
- Phototherapy allows us to entrain and ‘reset’ this rhythm and enjoy the benefits of good sleep.
Phototherapy – Light Box
- Phototherapy light boxes are typically LED square lights.
- Light boxes emit 10,000 Lux brightness and “cool” color temperature light that simulates the brightness of natural sunlight without the harmful UV rays
Benefits of Phototherapy
- Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder
- Advanced Sleep Phase Disorder
- Free Running or Non 24 Hour Sleep Wake Rhythm
- Jet Lag
- Shift Work
- Mood Disorders like Depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder
- Certain types of skin inflammation, and wounds